from our stores locally
DELIVERED & INSTALLED
5 Days a week
Essential price promise info
All the Latest in appliance news, promotions and updates from Domestic Supplies
Floor Care Buying Guide
Vacuum cleaners come in a variety of shapes and sizes to allow you to choose the most appropriate for your home. Having a clean floor lowers the amount of bacteria in your home to keep your family healthy.
- Robotic - Robotic vacuum cleaners will navigate around your rooms, using their low height to hoover under low objects, such as tables and sofas. They are small but powerful, and can hoover up most objects from dog hair to dust.
- Upright -The most popular type of vacuum cleaner, the upright is powerful and able to pick up majority of objects on your carpet. It uses brush combs to sweep objects up from the carpet threads and sucked into the bin.
- Cylinder - A cylinder vacuum cleaner is compact and easy to carry, making it perfect to use on stairs and furniture. They have a smaller capacity the uprights but can still perform as well due to their higher wattage.
- Portable/Cordless -Being light weight and having no restrictions on distance it can travel, a portable vacuum cleaner allows you to use it all over the house, moving seamless from one room to another. They do require charging after each use but they can still compete against cylinders on suckage power.
Some upright vacuum cleaners can weigh up to 9kg, which can make carrying it between floors difficult, which is why a portable vacuum cleaner may be best suited if you will be using it between floors as they weigh up to 4kg.
Bagged vacuum cleaners generally have a larger capacity as all the dirt and dust is collected into a bag and tightly squeezed in, to be thrown away once full. However this is not very environmentally friendly, with new bags being required regularly. Bagless vacuum cleaners suck dust and dirt directly into a chamber, for you to empty directly into your bin once full.
Vacuum cleaners come with a range of capacities, with portables and robotic vacuum cleaners generally having the smallest capacity due to their size, and uprights and cylinders having a larger capacity. Vacuum cleaner capacity is measured in litres. A larger capacity allows you to vacuum longer before needing to empty your container.
Vacuum cleaners come with many add-ons to make your vacuum cleaning as easy and efficient as possible. Usually, they will come with 3 standard attachments:
- A crevice tool -A long narrow tube used to reach tricky to get to places
- Upholstery tool - A hard brush used to vacuum chairs and sofas
- Dusting brush - A soft brush used to vacuum on delicate surfaces
Under EU legislation, every new vacuum cleaner must have an energy label showing its energy rating. All our vacuum cleaners are rated in line with the regulations, ranging from C (low efficiency) to A+++ (high efficiency).
You can work out an appliance's annual running costs by multiplying kWh used by 0.1427 (the average national cost of electricity + VAT), however this figure may vary according to how much you pay for your local electricity supply. View our full range of dishwashers
For more further information or help, please don't hesitate to contact us.View our full floorcare range here.